Give your time! Volunteers, especially those with equine, construction, marketing, advertising, and fundraising expertise are always needed and welcome. In-kind donations of labour or parts that keep the truck and trailer rolling and in good repair are greatly appreciated. If you have time we can always use help with grooming and bathing, stalls, hand walking, and tack cleaning and repair.
Interested in Volunteering at Wild Rose Sanctuary?
If you are interested in volunteering for us we would love to have you. The more organized we are and the more commitment we have from our amazing volunteers, the better the experience will be for you and for the animals. They also enjoy seeing the same, familiar faces and love to bond with volunteers that can commit to a specific schedule.
Some quick information to consider:
• Volunteers must be 14 years or older.
• We prefer our volunteers are able to commit to a regular schedule (i.e. once a week, or once every two weeks).
• If you are unable to come on your scheduled day, call or text (number will be provided once confirmed as volunteer).
• We do not permit outside dogs as they may startle the horses.
Year Round: 8:00AM – 6:00PM
There is no convenient public transportation to our Sanctuary therefore private or group arranged transportation must be organized by the volunteers.
What Does Volunteering at a Horse Sanctuary Involve?
• You must bring a signed liability waver with you the first time.
• Be sure to wear farm appropriate attire: boots or rubber boots, clothing that can get dirty, gloves & a mask if you’re sensitive to dust when cleaning stalls.
• Please do not bring friends with you unless you have been a minimum of 4x to volunteer & have checked first. Too many people can make things confusing and jobs can get missed. It works best when everyone is in a routine and doesn’t need to be supervised.
• There is a place where you can leave items & a bathroom on the property.
• Be sure to ask what you can feed and how much.
• On your first day you’ll have an orientation where you’ll meet the animals and be shown around the farm. Someone will be available to help you orient to the different jobs so you become comfortable.
• Raking up old hay and poo into wheelbarrows
• Replace bedding (straw or shaving)
• Filling hay mangers
• Emptying, scrubbing, cleaning and refilling water buckets
• General clean up of barn area & removal of hay old hay areas around farm
• Notify if running low on any items around the farm (hay/straw/shavings/ advising of broken tools etc).
• Storage of tools in proper area and tidy up during and after completion of work
• Moving Hay into barn loft
• Painting fences/barns
• Checking and repairing fences
• Cutting, raking and baling hay (during hay season)
• Help with fundraising events for Wild Rose Sanctuary.
Feel free to take pictures and pet the animals, but please remember the volunteer work comes first! The farm needs volunteers to help spread the work out and ensure all jobs are completed so the animals are taken care of properly, and more work isn’t left for the next day’s volunteers.
By volunteering, you’re freeing the owners up to collect food, run errands for the farm, answer emails, pick up medicine, treat any sick animals etc.
We appreciate your help more than you can realize! Thank you for your commitment to the horses & The Wild Rose Sanctuary. Please make sure to consider all of the above before deciding you want to volunteer. Volunteering is work, but it is also very rewarding! If you’re willing, we would love to have you!
If you are interested in volunteering with us, Please fill out this application. We will contact as soon as possible. Thank you.